JEditor is a rich text editor with HTML under the hood. When you edit a Jira field, JEditor generates HTML code and submits this code to Jira. To keep the formatting intact the data are stored in HTML format.
Configure your Jira to use HTML format as the default format for emails to receive rendered notifications. If you are receiving all your notifications with visible HTML tags, your default email format is plain-text.
JIRA Administrators can specify the default email format under Administration > User Management > User Preferences.
Why do I still see HTML tags in Jira notifications after I switched to HTML format?
Some notifications (e.g. Issue Updated and Comment Updated) will keep coming with visible HTML tags. Jira uses a diff renderer to highlight changes made by a user with green and red background. This diff renderer cannot display changes in HTML-formatted text and forces plain-text format. There’s a workaround to get rid of HTML tags in these emails:
- Download changelog.vm and replace the original changelog.vm under <Jira-install-directory>\atlassian-jira\WEB-INF\classes\templates\email\html\includes\fields\
- Download changelog-issue-description.vm and replace the original changelog-issue-description.vm under <Jira-install-directory>\atlassian-jira\WEB-INF\classes\templates\email\html\includes
- Download set-issue-details-context.vm and replace the original set-issue-details-context.vm under <Jira-install-directory>\atlassian-jira\WEB-INF\classes\templates\email\html\includes
- Download issuecommentedited.vm and replace the original issuecommentedited.vm under <Jira-install-directory>\atlassian-jira\WEB-INF\classes\templates\email\html\
- Download worklog-top.vm and replace the original worklog-top.vm under <Jira-install-directory>\atlassian-jira\WEB-INF\classes\templates\email\html\includes\patterns
- Download worklogchanges.vm and replace the original worklogchanges.vm under <Jira-install-directory>\atlassian-jira\WEB-INF\classes\templates\email\html\includes\fields
- Restart Jira to reload templates
Make sure that Jira has read access to these new files.