To install JEditor go to Jira administration > Find new add-ons and search the marketplace for JEditor. After that click the Free Trial button to get a trial license and install the add-on.
Sometimes you may be asked by our support to install a JEditor build manually. To do so navigate to Jira administration > Manage add-ons and click the Upload add-on link.
JEditor can be enabled for any multi-line text field (like description or comment) including custom fields. After installing JEditor you won't see any immediate changes in your Jira fields.
To enable JEditor for a field you need to do the following:
- Navigate to Jira administration > Issues
- Select Fields > Field Configurations to view all your field configurations
- Locate the field configuration of interest and click the Configure link to open the View Field Configuration page, which lists all system and custom fields in your Jira installation for that field configuration
- Click the Renderers link for the field you want to change. This will take you to a page where you will have the option to select a renderer from all configured and available renderers
- This page will warn you if there are issues that will be affected by the change. If no issues will be affected then the warning does not show. From this page, choose the JEditor Renderer and click Update
Existing fields that contain wiki markup (created using wiki renderer or Jira RTE) are properly rendered by JEditor.
If you want to try JEditor in your production Jira - it's safe to do so. Create a test project with a separate field configuration and enable JEditor only for the fields in this field configuration.
If your Jira notification emails start coming with HTML tags see the following topic:
Enabling JEditor for SD
If you use Atlassian Service Desk you may want to enable JEditor for the Description and/or the Comment field on the customer portal. To enable JEditor for SD, do the following:
- Navigate to Jira administration > Add-ons
- Select Manage add-ons
- Locate JEditor in the list of user-installed add-ons
- Expand JEditor's list of modules
- Enable these modules:
- JEditor for CP users
- JEditor SD Comment (if you want JEditor to render the Comment field on the customer portal)
- JEditor SD Description (if you want JEditor to render the Description field on the customer portal)
- JEditor SD Agent Comment (if you want JEditor to render the Comment field on agent's view)
- Navigate to JEditor Configuration > Settings
- Enable the Attach Uploads parameter
- Change the value of the Image Links parameter to Native Links
JEditor can import your HTML formatted emails as new Jira issues or comments. To enable the JEditor rich text mail handler, do the following:
- Navigate to Jira administration > System > Incoming Mail
- Click the Add incoming mail handler button
- Select the JEditor Rich Text Mail Handler (create or comment)
- Follow the wizard to configure the mail handler
Please note that JEditor mail handler is very basic. It does a great job importing HTML-formatted emails. If you need more features you may try add-ons that specialize in importing emails: